International Music Competition
Beethoven's Hradec 2018
The 56th Beethoven's Hradec, the International Music Competition in cello, is organised by Church Conservatoire Opava in cooperation with the National Heritage Institute – the Hradec nad Moravicí Castle Administration, and with the financial support of Moravian-Silesian Region, Ministry of Culture of the Czech Republic and others.
The competition is open to young artists under the age of 30, inclusive. All competition rounds are open to the public; competitors do not play anonymously. The organiser will place piano accompanists at the disposal of the competitors. The piano accompaniment fee totals EUR 20 (or CZK 500) and is payable on the spot. Audio or video recordings can be made in the course of the competition and the organiser can made use of them for promotional purposes without any further consent of the competitor(s). No copyright related to the aforementioned use of recordings is applicable.
The competition is held between 21 and 24 June 2018 at the Hradec nad Moravicí castle, in which the Lichnovský prince family used to host a number of prominent figures, such as Ludwig van Beethoven in 1806 and 1811 or Franz Liszt in 1846 and 1848.
Jiří Hanousek – Czech Republic
Michal Kaňka – Czech Republic
Eugen Prochác – Slovak Republic
Georg Baich – Austria
Adam Krzesowiec – Poland
Competitors shall pay the entry fee of EUR 65 (or CZK 1600) to the following bank account no later than 23 April 2018:
Bank: Komerční banka, a.s.
Address: Hrnčířská 266/2, 746 96 Opava
Payee: Církevní konzervatoř Opava
Payee’s address: Církevní konzervatoř Opava, Beethovenova 1, 746 01 Opava, Czech Republic
IBAN: CZ93 0100 0001 1524 3132 0267
BIC/SWIFT code: KOMBCZPPXXX
Message for the payee: BH 2018 – “candidate’s name” (e.g. BH 2018 – Peter Newman)
It is strongly recommended that the candidate’s name and the payment purpose be included in the transfer order.
The entry fee is non-refundable.
- 1st prize - CZK 50,000
- 2nd prize - CZK 30,000
- 3rd prize - CZK 20,000
Prize of Art Agency PRESTO for the winner
- A cello recital (with recording for the use of Czech Radio) held within the Series of Chamber Concerts 2018/2019 in Czech Radio Ostrava.
Janáček Philharmonic Ostrava Prize for the winner
- To perform with Janáček Philharmonic Ostrava in the concert season of 2019/2020 (Janáček Philharmonic Ostrava reserves the right not to award the prize.).
The Luboš Odlas Prize
- Master Bow for the winner.
- CZK 5,000 for the best competitor from the Czech Republic.
The prize awarded by the authority of the town of Hradec nad Moravicí
- CZK 5,000 for the best interpretation of Ludwig van Beethoven’s composition.
- New urtex edition of Antonín Dvořák‘s Cello Concerto in B minor, Op. 104.
The Matice slezská Prize
The prize of the Bärenreiter Praha music publisher for laureates of the competition
The jury reserves a right not to award any of the prizes and to divide a corresponding financial reward in case a prize is awarded to more than one competitor. The decision of the jury is final.
- 1st round – max. 15 minutes Solo cello compositions, played by memory
- Suite No. 1 in G major, BWV 1007
- Suite No. 2 in D minor, BWV 1008
- Suite No. 3 in C major, BWV 1009
- Suite No. 4 in E flat major, BWV 1010
- Suite No. 5 in C minor BWV 1011
- Suite No. 6 in D major, BWV 1012
- David Popper: Hohe Schule des Violoncellspiels, Op. 73
- Carlo Alfredo Piatti: Caprice, Op. 25
- Mikhail Bukinik: 4 Concert Etudes
b) a virtuosic etuda - candidate's choice:
- Sonata No. 1 in F major, Op. 5 No. 1
- Sonata No. 2 in G minor, Op. 5 No. 2
- Sonata No. 3 in A major, Op. 69
- Sonata No. 4 in C major, Op. 102 No. 1
- Sonata No. 5 in D major, Op. 102 No. 2
b) Free choice: 19th – 20th century suites and sonatas (eventually their single parts or movements)
(In case of an uncommon repertoire, the competitor is obliged to arrange for their own pianist.)
20 June > 1.00-5.00 pm. – candidates registration, 5.30 pm – competition draw
21 June > 9.00 am – 1 st round
22 June > 9.00 am – 1 st round
23 June > 9.00 am – 2 nd round
24 June > 10.00 am – 3 rd round, 6.30 pm – Winners‘ Concert
Both competitors and their own accompanists will organise and pay their accommodation themselves. There are hotels and B&Bs at different price levels both in the very Hradec nad Moravicí and also in the nearby town of Opava. The organiser is not responsible for the underage competitors; the organiser is not liable for any potential damage that may arise in the course of the competition.
Applicants must register via the web application. A photograph and a receipt of the entry fee payment must be attached to the application form. The deadline for submitting applications is 23 April 2018. All candidates accepted to the competition will be sent further information to email addresses as stated in their application forms by 7 May 2018.